roasted boneless pork shoulder with garlic herb rub
the boneless pork shoulder in our January CSA delivery was just the sweetest little porcine nugget. i wanted to do something super simple so the meat would shine. this recipe is adapted from barbara kafka’s roasting. i was concerned with the high temperature it calls for, but the results were outstanding.
there were duck-fat sauteed dandelion greens on the side.
making a roast a week is one of my standard wintertime paleo strategies. i’ll be making this one again before spring has sprung!
7 cloves garlic
1 TBS each dried thyme and oregano
2 TBS each kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 3.5-4.5lb boneless pork shoulder, tied
1. Preheat oven to 500.
2. Combine all ingredients except the pork in a food processor and pulse to create a smooth puree.
3. Dry the roast and rub the paste all over it. Place it in a small roasting pan, fat side up.
4. Roast for 20 minutes, uncovered, at 500.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 450 and roast an additional 30 minutes. Spoon off some of the fat from the roasting pan and roast further until the roast registers 160, anywhere from 30-45 minutes more.
6. Remove from the oven and transfer to a platter; let rest 10 minutes. Snip off strings, slice and serve.