Grilled red and green cabbage slaw
If you’ve got a CSA, you are up to your ears in cabbage right about now. I found this recipe to grill the cabbage with some green onions (also in season right now) to make a mayo-free cole slaw that’s crunchy, smoky and quite irresistible. Because there’s no mayo, it keeps crisp in the fridge for days, and goes well with just about any summer meal. It does have a bit of sugar; leave it out if you’re strict Paleo.*
The original recipe includes fresh tarragon. Confession: I wish all tarragon would be gone. I don’t care for it, so my version leaves it out. In terms of the cabbage element, you could make the recipe with just red or just green cabbage, if that’s all you got.
Grilled red and green cabbage slaw, adapted from Epicurious
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus additional for brushing
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 medium head of red cabbage (about 1 3/4 pounds), quartered through core
- 1 medium head of green cabbage (about 13/4 pounds), quartered through core
- 1 bunch green onions (about 6), trimmed
1. Clean and oil your grill.
2. Prepare barbecue, heating it to medium-high.
3. Whisk vinegar, sugar, 1/2 cup oil, mustard,
and tarragon in medium bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
4. Brush cabbages and green onions with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill cabbages until dark grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill green onions until charred on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to work surface.
5. Chop green onions and cabbages; place in large bowl, discarding cores. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
*I don’t use stevia, agave, honey, etc to “substitute” or improve for sugar in recipes.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- foodienightandday reblogged this from thedailypaleo
- leemartain reblogged this from doctorgrosz
- thedailypaleo likes this
- doctorgrosz reblogged this from thedailypaleo and added:
- brenli likes this
- thedailypaleo posted this